Warner moved to the passenger seat, and a Sydney court recorded the conviction anyway
David Warner was fined $1,500 and ordered to fit an alcohol interlock for a year at Waverley Local Court on Tuesday, four months after he pulled up short of a breath test site in Sydney’s east.
Aug 18, 2026
David Warner walked out of Waverley Local Court on Tuesday with a conviction on his record, a $1,500 fine and an order to drive with an alcohol interlock fitted to his car for the next year. He said nothing on the way out.
Three glasses of white wine, and a checkpoint he never reached
The offence goes back to the Easter long weekend. On 5 April, police running a roadside breath test site in Sydney’s east watched a car pull up short of the checkpoint. Warner had drunk three glasses of white wine at a function and was driving his family home, according to the police facts read to the court. Officers then saw him move from the driver’s seat into the passenger seat. Taken to Maroubra police station for a secondary test, he blew 0.104, more than double the New South Wales limit of 0.05 and inside the mid-range band that runs from 0.08 to 0.149.
He pleaded guilty to mid-range drink driving on 22 July. A first offence in that band carries a maximum of nine months in prison under NSW law, so Tuesday was never really about jail. It was about how much of a mark the day would leave.
The argument that the coverage was punishment enough
Warner’s barrister, Awais Ahmad, asked for no conviction to be recorded. He called his client’s decision to drive impaired, impulsive and frankly foolish, pointed to the therapy and the traffic offenders’ program Warner had completed since April, and then made the argument this case will be remembered for. The reporting, he said, had already done the damage. He used the word savage. He named ESPN, Al Jazeera and the Indian Express among the outlets that carried it, said commercial opportunities were being affected, and questioned why NSW Police had issued a press release in the first place.
Clare Farnan accepted that Warner was unlikely to reoffend. She did not accept the rest of it. Coverage on that scale, she found, was the predictable consequence of an enormous global profile, and she came back to the point that drink driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in NSW. The conviction was recorded.
The fine is the small part
An interlock order means Warner has to blow into a device wired to his ignition every time he wants to start the car, and it stays there for 12 months. He has already spent four months off the road since April, which makes him eligible to apply for the interlock licence immediately. So the practical sentence is a year of breathing into a dashboard before the school run, not $1,500.
Where this leaves the Thunder captain
Warner is 39 and has not played international cricket since Australia went out of the 2024 T20 World Cup. He left with 8,786 Test runs at 44.59 from 112 matches, 26 hundreds among them, a total only four Australians have beaten. Indian fans knew him longest through the IPL, where he made 6,241 runs across Sunrisers Hyderabad and Delhi Capitals, though he went unsold at the 2025 mega auction and did not register for 2026. This year he has captained Karachi Kings in the PSL.
The job that matters here is the Sydney Thunder captaincy. Cricket NSW put out a statement three days after the charge in April calling itself a strong advocate of safe driving, saying it took the matter seriously and that it would support him through the process. That was a pending charge. A recorded conviction is a different conversation, and the Big Bash is close enough now that somebody will have to have it.







